I grew up having a strong phobia for gas. I didn’t want to hear about it or go close to it. And I used to thank God that we were not using, besides it wasn’t even common.
I knew someone who was in the same town meeting with my mum. Lost her life because the gas wasn’t turned off, so she entered into the kitchen, turned on the gas and that was her end. I was in my final year when I experienced another deadly fire incident which led to someone’s death and loss of properties because of the carelessness of students using gas cylinders in the room.
Then I recently watched a video of how two ladies were saved by whiskers when their gas exploded. Apparently the gas was on unknown to them. Their saving grace was that the cylinder was outside.
As a society, we have adjusted to using gas cookers. It’s fast. It has no form of air pollution. And it helps you retain clean cooking utensils. And it’s even cheaper than Kerosene. Which means I am finally using a gas cooker too.
However, most of us have thrown caution to the winds as we hardly think of our safety when it comes to using this efficient medium of cooking. All we just care about is cook and chop.
We however thought we should (alongside every other person and institution that have been warning you) tell you about ways to prevent an “had I known” fire outbreak”
- Buy your gas cylinder from a certified gas plant.
- Keep your gas cylinders outside or in a well ventilated area. Biko, nobody will steal it. Don’t use your hand to bring problem into your living space so it’s better to be safe than sorry. Just use a pipe to connect it to your cooker.
- If you perceive the smell of gas whether your cylinder is on or off, check what might be leaking as it might either be the valve or pipe. And change it ASAP.
- Do not use sprays close to your gas or cooker.
- Put off your gas cooker. Don’t assume you have checked. Check that you put it off over and over again.
- Let your cooking area be airy enough. Open Windows and doors to let in air. Do you have any other safety tip? Please kindly share in our comment box.